· Possible cancellation of the 2016 General Elections.
· IGAD mediating Galmudug resource exploration in Puntland. Links Natural Resources FZC warned by the PPMA director not to enter Puntland territory.
· UK statement of support for Somalia, gradual thawing of relations with other nations.
· Al Shabab amnesty offer extended.
· US hardware and software (drones), not boots, on the ground in Somalia. Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda to supply the boots.
· AMISOM extended until May 30, 2016
· EU funds 22,000 AMISOM salaries, cuts announced.
· Uganda to re-attempt sending helicopters to Somalia
Civil unrest 2016:Civil service and security staff pay cuts/taxation.
Civilians keeping their positions within the civil service going to the ‘dark’ side to compensate for wage losses and need to meet first priority: ‘feed families’.
Situation exacerbated by:
· Price rises associated with inflationary pressure from international spending.
· New AS commander showing signs of strategic ability i.e. ‘hearts and minds’ gestures (hostage releases, apparently less bellicose ATOR). Has been criticized within AS for same.